The Village

Close to North Dartmoor, Sampford Courtenay is one of the prettiest villages in West Devon.

Sampford Courtenay took its name from the sandy ford, now replaced by a bridge, next to the New Inn. The Courtenay family were the Lords of the Manor until the reformation, when the title passed to Kings College, Cambridge. The village church still receives an annual payment from Kings College. Many of the houses in the village are constructed of lime washed cob with thatched roofs. Every road in the village is marked by a stone cross indicating the village boundary.

St Andrews Church
The 15th century Grade 1 - listed parish church of St Andrews lies at the village centre close to Weirford House. In 1549 William Hellyons was murdered on the steps of the Church Court House, in the square. This was at the start of the Prayer Book Rebellion which spread throughout Devon and Cornwall and ended with the siege of Exeter. There is an interesting display in the church detailing the rebellion. Combatants, on both sides of the rebellion, would have come up the lane beside Weirford House.

The images show : St Andrews, up the village, down the village from the square, The Church Room, Rebellion plaque, The Barton and the lane leading to our house.

Click on a small image to enlarge.

(May need to rotate screen on iPad or iPhone)

View towards the square
View up the village from New inn
View from the village square
The 15C Church rooms
Prayer Book Rebellion plaque
The Barton farmhouse
Lane to Weirford House